Monday, October 31, 2011

Spanaway - October 31, 2011

It's been a good week in Spanaway! Numbers wise, not so much, but we still had fun. Like I said we've either baptized or dropped our whole teaching pool so that's been a struggle. Mari moved out of our area, though she's still in the ward. She moved up by the church, but in the area of Tacoma Spanish. It'll be sad not being able to teach her as much anymore, but at least I'll see her in the ward for the next 5 weeks. So we helped her pack up a lot of things as she was frantically looking for a house to rent. I love seeing how much happier she is now, how much she's more at peace. She reads the Liahona (there's no Ensign in Spanish, but the Liahona is just as good) as well as the Bible and the Book of Mormon.
 
Gregorio and Concepción are solid; in the third hour of church today everyone was together and they talked about convert retention and they were excited to get their own Progress of New Members sheet so they can keep track of their progress in the church. We're hoping to have a temple baptism trip for all the new converts in the ward in the beginning of December.
 
Even though we only got 10 lessons last week, we found some miracles. We gave a man named Alirio (from El Salvador) a church tour; we've known him for several weeks now but we hadn´t been able to get in contact with him. But even though he's a strong member of another Christian church, he committed to read a chapter in the Book of Mormon and pray and he said that he knew our church didn't teach anything bad. So we'll see how willing he is to truly read and pray.
 
Last night we went tracting after our dinner appointment and we got invited in and watched Finding Faith in Christ with this really nice lady from Panama and her children. It turns out she went to 'Mormon church' in Panama with her stepdad when she was really little, and she already has a couple friends in our ward here. She's Catholic but she happily took a Book of Mormon and we have a tour set up with her for this coming Friday. She is learning English and she works with disabled children and the whole family does tons of community service and they do a lot of stuff to help out orphans and foster children in the area. Just talking with them gave me the impression that they are true followers of Christ, and I just felt really good about the whole thing and I'm excited for the church tour on Friday!
 
Hmmm, ¿qué más? Idk, it's been a good week and I love working here in Spanaway. It's hard to believe that by the end of this transfer I'll have served half my mission to this point here. 
 
I love you all and hope you have a very happy Halloween!
 
 
Greg