Monday, October 10, 2011

Spanaway - October 10, 2011

Well, I suppose I'll start off by telling you about our miracle: Gregorio and Concepción, our two eternal investigators that were coming to church but that had no desire to get baptized, are getting baptized on Tuesday!  We went over to teach them on Tuesday, and felt inspired to change the lesson plan.  We shared Mosiah 18:8-10 with them, asking them all of the questions contained in these verses. And then they said they felt they were ready to be baptized! They had their interviews yesterday and they're solid! It was such an incredible moment because these are people that were found the week before I came to this area so I've been working with them for almost four months now. Tacoma is also baptizing a family of four at the same time and with Juanito from last week, our ward will already have seven baptisms for the month. Bishop promised us a special barbecue when we break 10 =)
 
So Mari is still having trouble. We've set goals with her to help her and just really tried to follow the Spirit. She needs to gain faith in herself and believe that she really can do it, and we left her with the homework of reading Elder Oak's talk about desires from a few conferences ago, as well as Pres. Uchtdorf's Saturday morning closing talk. She needs to move out by the end of the month and she's looking for houses in her spare time (not that she has very much of that) and we're really hoping that she doesn't move out of our area. But what comes will come and we'll work hard either way.
 
We really haven't been able to work with too many other people; one person separated from her husband and moved to live with her parents in Seattle, a couple others moved and won't answer their telephone, etc. But we're still working hard and looking and have faith that they will come.
 
So we had a pretty legit P-day today. President Weaver invited the six of us in our little Spanish district over for breakfast and companionship study, which was way fun. It's Elder Wilde's birthday (Elder Liechty's companion) and we hung out with them and did a way epic go-kart race. Liechty and I were fighting it out at the end, and we hit each other pretty hard a few times, but I finally ended up winning.
 
So here's a funny thing that happened this week: Mari has a Parakeet that is infatuated with me and throws a fit every time I'm there. Last week she bit both me and my companion pretty badly as we were holding her on our hands. Mari had gone to a back room to get something at the time and didn't see till afterward so this week she asked us how everything actually went down. I said 'Jazzie me pisó la mano...' So piso means floor and the verb pisar means to step on, so I was trying to say that Jazzie (the bird) stepped onto my hand. But apparently pisarle means something very different than what's in my dictionary... Well, you learn something new everyday!   lol
 
I love you all very much.
 
Paz y amor
Greg