Monday, August 15, 2011

Spanaway, WA -- August 15, 2011

Hello Family!
 
All is going well. This was a great week for us all! The Spanish zone broke a record in that together between the 8 companionships we found 31 new investigators! We were blessed with 3, which is the most we've had in a week since I got here. We gave a church tour to Ricardo and Kimberly, a young couple from Honduras who are cousins to one of our less active members. We also had a miracle when a member brought a friend, Juan, to church, though seeing him will be a bit difficult because he's a truck driver and technically lives in Yakima (way far away, plus out of our mission).
 
Mari is doing awesome; we tried to bring fellowship over one time, but we felt like it made her feel way uncomfortable. She's more or less willing to come, but also has to take care of her mom with dementia a lot of Sundays. But she's been reading in the Book of Mormon, and she committed last night to start working again on quitting smoking, so we'll be working hard with her to do all those things so that she'll be more able to feel the Spirit so that she'll gain a spiritual testimony of the Book of Mormon so that she feels the desire to be baptized by someone holding the proper priesthood authority of God, thus making her first life-saving ordinance and covenant with our Heavenly Father. But, all things step by step, line upon line, etc. :)
 
The bishop is in Spain this month on vacation with his grandkids and our ward clerk is being deployed to Iraq, so it'll be intersting to see what happens with the ward in the coming weeks. I'm not trying to say that the leadership is incapable or anything, but the ward itself is still relatively young and most people are converts and just don't have very much experience. But it'll be interesting to see how everything works out. :)
 
I'm super excited to hear from Elder Perry this Friday! We have zone conference next week too, so it'll just be a spiritual feast!
 
Hmmm, what else? Did I tell you about the Paella I had a few weeks ago? Before bishop left, he cooked us the national dish of Spain (he's a chef), which consists of Rice (which turns yellow because you use saffron), shrimp, mussels, octopus, chicken, etc. It was the first time I'd ever eaten mussel or octopus like that, and it was absolutely delicious! I haven't eaten anything too weird yet, but my papa Elder Liechty and my new little brother Elder Wilde ate menudo last night, which is that soup made out of cow stomach.
 
I love you guys and I hope all is well! Say hi to my Berkeley friends for me and tell them that I love them!
 
Les amo, y ¡que tenga una superchida semana! ¡Guarden la fe!
 
Con amor,
Greg